Many 'sub-area's' namely, Maes Maelor, Nant-y-ffrith, Glascoed & Pentre Saeson, are included within the descriptive name and area of the village 'Bwlchgwyn'. Pentre Saeson (translated. 'english village') was an initial congregational point for the influx of english miners and their families who worked the coal mines that flourished within this particular area. To the north and west of the village, lead mining was a main activity. The 20th century was to witness Silica stone being the most sought after resource. Indeed, in 1954 Bwlchgwyn was very close to being 'no more' as the Bwlchgwyn Silica Company applied to quarry 'into' the village following the national rise in demand for silica. The application was turned down and the company eventually ceased to operate.
The Romans too, were once residents of the village. A small roman fort stood on the highest point of the village. Remains of this have sadly all been lost following the quarrying. A main roman route passed through here from Ffrith, along what is now Cefn road, top of Brymbo road and up Fronheulog hill and over to the old Ruthin road which traverses Llandegla moors. Another route branched from where now stands the Kings Head Inn, and travelled in a route which is now Stryt Maelor, (over A525) down Nant Road, and up the valley towards Rhydtalog. It is known the romans worked the shallow lead veins of the Eisteddfod, with the small fort possibly being a base for these operations.